Friday, March 22, 2019

The Medusa Ritual - Installment 8

The Medusa Ritual
A Pierce Mostyn Paranormal Investigation
by
CW Hawes



Dotty’s a prisoner, and Mostyn must walk away if he is to ever see her again. But that isn’t the worst of it.
Read on for more adventure!



8


Mostyn opened his eyes. He didn’t move anything except for his eyes. He took in everything he could see without moving his head. The lighting was subdued. The ceiling, and what he could see of the walls, reminded him of his hotel room. Why was he here? Where had he been?
Images of a street and buildings and a long black limo flooded into his mind.
“Dotty.” The word came out as a barely audible croak, although he’d meant to shout it.
“Are you awake, Boss?” The voice belonged to Jones.
Mostyn tried to get up.
“Whoa, Boss.” Jones put his hand on Mostyn’s chest and gently pushed him back down. “Hang on a minute.”
Jones got out his phone, made a call, and after a moment said, “He’s awake.” Call ended, Jones returned the phone to his pocket.
“Where’s Dotty?”
“We were kinda hoping you’d tell us.”
Mostyn got up on his elbows. “What do you mean?”
The door opened and in walked a man, who was followed by Dr Bardon.
“Ah, Pierce, my boy, good to see you awake.”
“Thank you, sir,” Mostyn replied.
Bardon introduced the man with him. “This is Dr Addison Clarke. He’s been monitoring you since you were unceremoniously dumped on the hotel steps. Thanks to Mr Jones, we were able to get to you before the paramedics arrived. Wouldn’t do to have you in a civilian hospital.”
“Dumped?” Confusion was written all over Mostyn’s face. He shook his head. “Where’s Dotty?”
“We were hoping you could tell us,” Bardon said. “Her subdermal tracker is being effectively blocked.”
“I don’t know where she is.” Mostyn then explained about the attempt to run him over, the javelin attack, and finally the abduction. “I don’t recall anything after the powder, until now.”
“Very interesting,” Bardon replied. “It appears this Asian fellow knows a thing or two about spells. It also seems he has our Dr Kemper.”
“We have to find Dotty,” Mostyn said.
“We will,” Bardon replied. “But first let Dr Clarke have a look at you.”
Bardon stepped back and the doctor moved next to the bed to begin his examination. After listening with his stethoscope, shining a light in Mostyn’s eyes and throat, and testing his reflexes, Clarke seemed satisfied Mostyn was okay.
“Good,” Bardon said. “Thank you, Dr Clarke. I’ll take it from here.”
Clarke wished everyone a good day, and left.
“The team is in Conference Room C,” Bardon said. “Get dressed, and we’ll join them. Come with me, Mr Jones.”
Bardon and Jones retired to the outer sitting room, closing the door behind them.
Mostyn got out of bed, took a quick shower, after which he began dressing. He was knotting his tie when his phone rang. He picked it up.
“Good afternoon, Mr Mostyn.” The ancient and ethereal sounding British voice.
“Where’s—”
“She’s well. And she will continue to be well if you live by tonight. Once you have left Los Angeles, she will be released.”
“How do you—”
“You want proof. I expected as much. Jot down the link and password I am about to give you. Both will be good for the next fifteen minutes. Are you ready?”
“Go ahead.”
The voice gave Mostyn the information, which Mostyn jotted down.
“Safe travels, Mr Mostyn.” The voice was gone and there was only silence in its place.
Mostyn brought up the website on his phone and typed in the password. The site opened revealing a blank video screen. He tapped the “Join Conversation” button and Dotty appeared on the screen.
“Dotty! Can you hear me?”
“I can hear you, Pierce. Enable your video so I can see you. Can you see me?”
“I can.” He enabled the video and Dotty appeared before him on the screen.
“How do you like the outfit? Should I get one for home?” Dotty was dressed in a one piece, long yellow silk dress with a white flower print, that had a high collar and sleeves extending a couple inches passed her elbow. There was a long side split on both sides which showed Dotty’s legs up to a little bit above the middle of her thighs.
“Looks nice. Sure, get one for home. Are you alright?”
“I’m fine. But I won’t be if you don’t leave.”
“What do you mean?”
“I was told the eldest grandson has, and I quote, ‘taken a fancy to me’. If you don’t leave, I will become his mistress. Or maybe even his wife.”
Mostyn clenched his fists.
Dotty continued. “I was also told the grandson isn’t normal. I don’t know what they mean by that, but I have a feeling it’s not something I want to find out.”
“Don’t worry, Dot. My uncle will fix things.”
“Pierce. I’m scared, and you know I don’t say that very often.”
“Don’t worry, Dot. Hang in there.”
“I love you, Pierce.”
Before Mostyn could answer her, the masked man appeared. In that ancient and ethereal tone of voice he said, “Y’ah hafh’drm gof’nn mgahnnn shuggnglui llll ‘drn ah nog.” Then the screen went blank.
Mostyn finished tying his tie, and joined Bardon and Jones. “I just talked to Dotty.”
“How?” Jones asked.
“The wonders of modern technology, Jones. The masked man phoned me and gave me a link to a website so I could talk with her. It seems if I don’t leave, Dotty becomes the wife or plaything for the weird grandson of the masked man. She’s scared, Dr Bardon. And you know Dotty doesn’t scare easily.”
“Did the masked man say anything?” Bardon asked.
“He did. I think it was R’lyehian.”
“Oh, dear, my boy. Can you repeat it?”
“I think so.” And Mostyn repeated the message to the best of his ability.
Bardon listened, pondered it for a minute or two, then said, “If you’ve repeated it correctly, the masked man said, ‘I am the Summoner of the Spawn preparing the gate, or way, for the One Who is coming.”



To Be Continued!




While waiting for the next installment, the entire Pierce Mostyn Paranormal series is available for your reading pleasure.

Do you hate cliffhangers? There’s none in this series. Each book stands by itself.

Do you think books are magic? That for just a little while you can be anywhere, doing anything? Then join Pierce Mostyn and experience some magic!

What people are saying about the Pierce Mostyn series:

“…a fast-paced story with lots of action, yet does not neglect the characters.”

“Hawes has a great time with this series and does a good job (too good) of leaving us wanting more.”

“This series is fun…”

“…a weird tale of adventure, humor, and horror.”




Are engaging characters your thing? Join my VIP Readers and you’ll get the Pierce Mostyn short story, “The Feeder” — available only to my VIP Readers! 

And you’ll be the first to know when the revised book version of The Medusa Ritual comes out!

The Medusa Ritual is copyright © 2019 by CW Hawes. All rights reserved.

No comments: