Thursday, March 7, 2019

The Medusa Ritual - Installment 6



The Medusa Ritual
A Pierce Mostyn Paranormal Investigation
by
CW Hawes


Accidents. On purposes. François and his gallery. Does he know anything? Is he feigning ignorance? And Salzman. So much seems to come back to him.
And then, of course, there’s the javelin.
Read on for more adventure!



6


“It could have been an accident,” Dotty said.
“Possible. Best keep our eyes and ears open.”
The two crossed the street and entered the gallery. The place was rather dark. Not much light entered in from the windows, and the room lighting was diffused. The only areas of bright light were where the paintings and sculptures were located. Mostyn hadn’t paid attention to the artwork on the ground floor, when he entered the building the previous night. He now had his chance to rectify that omission.
To Dotty, he said, “Most of this stuff is hideous. Why would anyone want to buy it, let alone display it?”
“Beats me,” Dotty replied. “Art’s not my thing.”
“Hello. May I help you?” a voice called out from a dark corner. And then a body became visible.
“We were wondering if James Cortado was here,” Dotty said.
“I’m François, the owner of the gallery.” He stood with an expectant air about him.
“I’m Pierce Mostyn, and this is Dotty Kemper. We were here last night to see Mr Cortado’s work.”
“Oh, yes,” François began, “you made a sizable investment.”
“Who told you that?” Dotty asked.
“Milt Salzman, his agent. I had to be here at some ungodly hour so your people could pick up the work. God, couldn’t they have picked a decent time of day?”
“Sorry to ruin your sleep,” Mostyn said. “Is Cortado here?”
“Mr Cortado is not here, nor is Mr Salzman. Perhaps I can help you?” Although the tone of his voice indicated the exact opposite.
“Perhaps you can,” Mostyn said, as he pulled out his ID and showed it to François. Mostyn enjoyed watching the gallery owner’s eyes become like saucers.
“The IRS? Have they done something wrong? I mean, I have the gallery’s reputation to think of.”
“Can’t say,” Mostyn answered. “We would, though, like to talk to them. Do you happen to know their addresses?”
“I might have them. Let me check.” He disappeared into the dark corner he’d come from.
While the gallery owner was gone, Kemper and Mostyn looked at the paintings, sculptures, and pottery.
“This pot isn’t so bad,” Mostyn said, “but I’m not spending eight hundred bucks to have it on my desk.”
“Skinflint,” Dotty said.
“I don’t see you buying anything.”
“And you won’t. At least here you won’t. Now take me to a gun show and you’d better hold on to your wallet.”
“I thought knives were more your thing.”
“Nope. They’re work tools. Give me a handgun anyway. They’re fun.”
“You’re dangerous.”
François appeared. “Find anything you like?”
“Not really,” Dotty said.
“I’m sorry to hear that,” the gallery owner replied. “I have a phone number for Milt Salzman. That’s all. Sorry.”
“We’ll take it,” Mostyn said.
“If you’re with the IRS, don’t you, like, have this information already? I mean, you’re the government.”
Mostyn smiled. “Can’t believe everything you see on TV.”
“Is there anything you can tell us about them?” Dotty asked.
“I don’t actually know them,” François replied.
“That your gallery is hosting Cortado’s show…” Dotty lifted her hands and shrugged.
“Wait a minute.” François shook his head. “No. I have nothing to do with them. All I get is a percentage of their sales in exchange for the space. And they’re out of here in a few days.”
“What can you tell us about them?” Mostyn asked, then added, “Your cooperation will be noted.”
“Cortado blew into town some five years ago with a Goth chick named Delora Youngblood. She was then and still is a better painter than Cortado. I think it’s what caused them to split. He just couldn’t stand having her always showing him up. Anyway, some time after they split, Salzman shows up, takes Cortado under his wing, and suddenly Cortado is going places. All very mystifying, if you ask me.”
“Where does Ms Youngblood live?” Dotty asked.
“The gallery represents her, so I can get you her address. Hang on.”
Once more, François retreated to his dark corner and in a moment was back with a slip of paper that he handed to Dotty. “There’s her address and phone. She’s a good seller for me. I’d rather you not tell her where you got her address and number. Now, I’ve cooperated and I have work to do. The gallery doesn’t run itself.”
Mostyn nodded. “You’ve been very helpful. Thank you.”
“Do you actually make a living at this?” Dotty asked.
“What do you mean? Of course, I do.”
“Just wondering,” Dotty replied.
She and Mostyn left, had no problem crossing the street, and made their way to the car.
“Let’s get something to eat,” he said, as he got in.
“I’m game,” Dotty replied, and got into the vehicle. While putting on her seatbelt, she said, “Can we make it some place expensive?”
“Herndon will squawk.”
“Screw him. I’m not doing fast food.”
“Down!” Mostyn yelled.
The window shattered, and a javelin impaled the center console, missing Dotty’s leg by an inch.



To Be Continued!




While waiting for the next installment, the entire Pierce Mostyn Paranormal series is available for your reading pleasure.

Do you hate cliffhangers? There’s none in this series. Each book stands by itself.

Do you think books are magic? That for just a little while you can be anywhere, doing anything? Then join Pierce Mostyn and experience some magic!

About Nightmare in Agate Bay:

Inspired by The Shadow Over Innsmouth, and taking a cue from such authors as Brian Lumley and Charles Stross, Hawes has added a rich, exciting chapter to the Mythos legacy. Contemporary and action-packed, this is Lovecraftian Horror for the 21st century. —Brian Fatah Steele, author of Your Arms Around Entropy and other stories, There is Darkness in Every Room, and others.




Are engaging characters your thing? Join my VIP Readers and you’ll get the Pierce Mostyn short story, “The Feeder” — available only to my VIP Readers! And you’ll be the first to know when the revised book version of The Medusa Ritual comes out!



The Medusa Ritual is copyright © 2019 by CW Hawes. All rights reserved.

No comments: