Tuesday, July 23, 2024

Review: Catch a Tiger by the Toe

 


I make no bones about it: I’m a Joe Congel fan.


I like reading stories and he writes good stories I want to read.


Catch a Tiger by the Toe is his latest offering.


It’s a suspense-filled murder mystery that satisfies on all levels.


Retired  NYC cop Brandon Turner wants a quiet life. A life filled with the joy of his dog, his lady-love, mentoring her son, and maybe a little fishing.


However, he once again finds himself entangled in a murder investigation where it seems he’s the only one with the skill set necessary to catch the killer. A nasty person bent on killing children in a catch-me-if-you-can game with the police.


For me, characters are the story. After all, life is about people. People and what they do or don’t do. And fiction is nothing more or less than a stylized look at people and their lives.


Congel gives us real people. Its as though a giant scooped up a great big handful of the world and put it under a dome for us to observe. That’s what it’s like reading one of his books.


One indicator I go by to tell me if the writer is sensitive to his surroundings and conveys them realistically is dialogue.


Does the writer get dialogue right? Does he have an ear for how people actually speak?


If the answer is yes, then the book will be enjoyable. If the answer is no, well, I don’t go on reading. The writer isn’t listening to the world. And if he isn’t listening does he have anything for me? Probably not.


Congel listens. He hears the world around him. His characters’s dialogue tells me so. They interact with real life and so what he has to tell me by means of his story will be real too.


If you already know Joe Congel, you know what I’m talking about.


If you don’t know his voice, then you are in for a wonderful treat. And Catch a Tiger by the Toe (Magnolia Bluff Crime Chronicles, Book 26) is an excellent place to begin.


Only on Amazon, and only 99¢ for a very short time. Get your copy today!


Comments are always welcome! And until next time, happy reading!





CW Hawes is a playwright; award-winning poet; and a fictioneer, with three bestselling novels. He’s also an armchair philosopher, political theorist, social commentator, and traveler. He loves a good cup of tea and agrees that everything’s better with pizza.



If you enjoyed this post, please consider buying me a cup of tea. Thanks! PayPal.me/CWHawes 











Justinia Wright Private Investigator Mysteries on Amazon!


Magnolia Bluff Crime Chronicles on Amazon!

No comments: