Friday, February 15, 2019

The Medusa Ritual - Installment 3

Insignia of the Office of Unidentified Phenomena


The Medusa Ritual
A Pierce Mostyn Paranormal Investigation
by
CW Hawes


“This mission seems too simple,” Mostyn says, and his gut feeling is right.

In this third installment, things move to Los Angeles and the world of art on the west coast. Dotty feels insecure and asks Pierce… Well read on! The adventure continues!



3


Mostyn looked out the window of the jet. Next to him, across the narrow isle was Dotty Kemper. In the seats facing him and Dotty were Willie Lee Baker, the mission’s photographer, and Dr Otto Stoppen, an assistant librarian at the OUP’s secret library. Baker and Stoppen were discussing F-stops.
The other team members were in the seats and on the sofa in the back of the jet. Jones and NicAskill were talking about weapons, while Winifred Petrie, a zoologist, and Harbin Hammerschmidt, a chemist, discussed gardening.
Dotty touched Mostyn’s arm. “Are you brooding?”
“No.”
“I don’t think you’ve said two words since we got into the air.”
“I’ve said at least two dozen.”
“Are you worried about Helene?”
“A little.”
“The doctor said she’ll be fine.”
“I know.”
“So what else is on your mind?”
“The book. This mission seems too simple.”
Dotty let out a throaty laugh. “If you believe anything Bardon gives us is simple, I have a movie studio in Hollywood I can sell you.”
Mostyn smiled. “I just might take you up on that offer. Do I get to star in my own movie?”
“Sure, Pierce.” She took his hand and brought it to her lips and kissed it.
“Good thing we’ll be landing in twenty minutes,” Baker said.
“Shut up, Willie Lee,” Dotty shot back.
“Just letting you know so you can get the timing right.”
“Go back to your camera talk.”
Baker laughed, said, “Sure Dot”, and turned back to Dr Stoppen and their conversation.
Dotty turned to Mostyn. “There’ll be plenty of excitement before we even see this damn book Bardon wants. Mark my words.”
“I’m sure you’re right, Dot.”
The pilot’s voice sounded over the intercom, announcing they were making their final approach to the Los Angeles airport. After a moment his voice came back on. “And thank you for flying with OUP airlines, where your secrets are common knowledge to us and we don’t let you know a damn thing. And, as always, good luck.”
“See, Mostyn,” Dotty said, “even the pilot knows the score.”

***

A black unmarked van picked up the team and their luggage at the plane, and whisked them off to their hotel. Herndon, the accounting wonk, as Mostyn referred to him, had booked everyone into double rooms.
In the lobby, as Mostyn was handing out room assignments, Baker noted, “Herndon’s on a money saving kick again.” To which Jones replied, “He’s always on a money saving kick.”
Mostyn chuckled. “At least this time he remembered Dotty and I are together.”
“He had to,” Dotty replied. “It’s simple math. Four rooms or five rooms. Four if you and I are together, five if we’re not.”
“Just don’t do anything I wouldn’t do,” Baker said.
Jones slapped Baker on the back. “If they do that we’re going to be short two people for this mission.”
“What do you mean?” Baker protested. “I’m very faithful…” He and Jones went off to find their room.
Petrie shook her head, said, “Men”, and headed for the elevator. NicAskill, her roommate, shrugged, and followed.
Mostyn, Kemper, Hammerschmidt, and Stoppen picked up their luggage and made their way to the elevator.
“Do you know how we are going to locate the book?” Stoppen asked.
“Not really,” Mostyn replied. “There is an art exhibit tomorrow. Bardon wants us there. His sources are telling him that’s the place to begin. And if Dr Bardon says that’s where we start, then that’s where we start.”
“I don’t normally do field work,” Stoppen said. “I was just wondering.”
“Quite alright, Doctor,” Mostyn replied. “Sometimes we don’t even have that much to go on.”
There was a ding and the elevator door opened. They got in and rode to their floor in silence. When they got out of the elevator, Mostyn wished the men good night, and they continued on down the hall to their room. Mostyn swiped the pass card, and he and Dotty entered their room.
When the door closed, Dotty threw her arms around Mostyn and kissed him. “Do you love me, Pierce?”
“You know I do, Dot.”
“More than Helene?”
Mostyn held her tight, kissed her, and said, “That’s unfair, Dotty. Helene is different.”
Dottie pulled away and sat in a chair. “Bardon and his goddamn magic. Sometimes I really hate the guy.”
Mostyn kneeled next to her, and took her hands in his. “I love you, Dotty Kemper. You were first in my heart then, and you’re first in my heart now.”
“But is that you or Bardon talking?”
“I think my lips were moving. Weren’t they?”
“They were.”
“Maybe we should get some other things moving as well.”
She withdrew her hands from his, and placed them on his cheeks. “Never let me go, Pierce. I don’t care what Bardon does. Never let me go.”
“I won’t, Dot. I promise.”
She kissed him. “I’m holding you to that.” She stood. “Okay, Mostyn, let’s get some other things moving.”
Mostyn stood. “You’re on, Kemper.”


To Be Continued!




While waiting for the next installment, the entire Pierce Mostyn Paranormal series is available for your reading pleasure.

Do you hate cliffhangers? There’s none in this series. Each book stands by itself.

Do you think books are magic? That for just a while you can be anywhere, doing anything? Then join Pierce Mostyn and experience some magic!

“I have read much of the CW Hawes oeuvre, but confess a special joy in this series, featuring Pierce Mostyn from the Office of Unidentified Phenomenon. The stories are fun and exciting, and manage to mash mythos, monsters and tech into an enjoyable whole.” —Richard Schwindt, author of Herkimer’s Nose and Tony Price: Confidential.




Are engaging characters your thing? Join my VIP Readers and you’ll get the Pierce Mostyn short story, “The Feeder” — available only to my VIP Readers! And you’ll be the first to know when the revised book version of The Medusa Ritual comes out!


The Medusa Ritual is copyright © 2019 by CW Hawes. All rights reserved.

No comments: